Amchoor or dried mango powder (can be spelled two ways) is a highly aromatic spice used for enhancing the flavor of several dishes. With a lightish pale hue and a fruity taste, amchoor is one of the best spices for adding a tinge of acidity and sourness to any dish that you want to spruce up.
If you are oblivious to the many wonders that this flavor-packed spice holds, we will tell you everything you need to know about this sour powdery spice.
What is Amchoor powder?
So, what is the magnificent amchur powder, and how is it made?
In literal terms, amchoor is a powder made using dried mangoes. The process begins with carefully cutting up unripe mangoes that are cut into pieces and then dried in the sun for a few days. Once done, these dried mangoes are then ground into a fine powder, packed, and sold.
The primary role of mango powder is in vegetarian dishes, where it is a star ingredient in curries. This sour and tangy spice is particularly famous in Indian and Pakistani households, where it is used for making lip-smacking snacks and chaat. However, remember that a little goes a long way, and using too much can make your dish taste sour.
What Does It Taste Like?
So what does this tangy spice taste like? Its flavor is a simple and straightforward 'sour.' There is no denying that its taste is quite strong, with a hint of sweetness. Once you add it to your dish, you know exactly how your meal will turn out. Moreover, when you add it to spice blends, the ideal practice is to add only a tiny amount.
So, whenever you feel like adding a burst of tangy/sour tones to your meals, reach out for your trusted amchur powder.
Where To Buy Amchoor Powder From?
We are sure you can't wait to get your hands on your own batch of amchoor which is why you must be wondering where you can get it from. As it isn't a commonly used spice, you might have trouble finding it in regular markets or superstores. You can easily get some from any health food store or any Indian grocery shop. No matter what place you choose, make sure they are reliable and offer high-quality items.
When buying your amchoor batch, make sure you keep the following points in mind:
- First, look at its color; amchoor powder should have a color that ranges from light beige to darker tones of beige.
- The texture should be powdery.
- Make sure that the powder is smooth and free from any lumps. Also, remember to check its manufacturing date, as older batches tend to lose their taste fast.
- The jars or packets should be sealed tightly. Check for any holes or cracks in the packaging.
Cooking With Amchoor
Our beloved amchur has a fruity flavor which is why it is used as a souring agent. It makes its way into marinades, chutneys, soups, and curries. Since we know everything about amchoor powder now, let us look at all the yummy treats you can make using this flavor-packed spice:
- It is used in famous Indian snacks and street food such as samosas, potato cutlets, and chaat.
- Amchoor powder is added to several curries like chickpea curries and chicken curry to give them a burst of flavor.
- No Indian snack, especially chaats, is complete without having their fair share of amchur. It is also added to pakoras.
- The next time you make a marinade or spice blends, make sure to add some amchoor powder and witness the excellent results yourself.
- Do you love stir-fries? Whether you are making a vegetable stir fry or a chicken one, add a pinch of amchoor powder and give your meal an instant kick.
- Add amchur to salad dressings and add a unique twist to your salads.
How To Store Amchur?
Once you have your beloved spice, keep the following points in mind when storing it:
- Just like all other spices, if not stored correctly, amchoor powder also loses its freshness. Make sure you store it in an airtight container.
- If it is in a packet, tightly close the packet’s opening with a clip.
- Place your stored powder in a dry and dark place away from sunlight.
- Well-stored spices will retain their flavor and aroma for a longer duration.
Health Benefits Of Amchoor Powder:
Now let us take a look at some of the incredible health benefits that amchoor powder is blessed with:
§ Aids In Digestion:
Amchur powder holds the fantastic benefit of improving a person's digestion and combat issues of acidity. Since mango is loaded with antioxidants, it helps to combat flatulence and constipation. By regularly eating amchoor powder in your meals, you can give your digestion a healthy boost.
§ Good for your eyesight:
Amchoor powder is loaded with essential vitamins like vitamin E and vitamin A which are excellent for your eyesight. Not only does amchur helps improve your vision, but it also helps prevent eye diseases such as cataracts.
§ Aids in weight loss:
Amchoor powder is an excellent and natural way of losing weight. Since it is loaded with antioxidants, it helps give your metabolism a boost and keeps your body shape in check.
§ Boost your heart health:
Did you know that amchoor powder is good for your heart’s health? By regularly consuming amchoor powder, you can give your cardiovascular health a much-needed boost. It is also used in ayurvedic medicines to improve your heart’s health.
§ Detox your body:
Since mango is an excellent source for detoxifying the body, amchur powder is used in ayurvedic medicines for the treatment of UTIs, dysentery, and diarrhea.
Do you love cooking meals that give you an instant bang?
If you are a fan of cooking dishes packed with flavor, try adding amchoor powder to them. Loaded with aroma, flavor, and numerous health benefits, amchoor powder is going to be your top favorite in your spice kit.